SOUTH AFRICA: Danone buys out Clover JV
Danone is set to take control of its joint venture in South Africa, the French food giant announced today (10 December).
Danone will buy Clover SA's 45% stake in the Danone Clover joint venture for a total of ZAR1.09bn (US$145m) in cash.
The deal will see Danone take 100% ownership of a business that is the South African market leader in fermented fresh dairy products.
Clover will continue to provide Danone Clover with fresh milk and distribution services.
"Partnering with one of the most attractive food companies in Africa has been a great adventure for Danone and has enabled us to successfully build a franchise with sustainable growth, not just in South Africa, but more broadly in the entire region (notably in Angola, Namibia, Mozambique)," Bernard Hours, Danone co-COO, said.
"Taking full control of this joint venture reflects our ambition as well as the confidence we have in the growth perspectives of this business," he added.
Clover CEO Johann Vorster said that the company had realised a "sizeable profit" from the transaction, which would be invested in upgrading its factories and distribution facilities.
French food giant Danone today (17 May) announced it is to enter the Australian market through a dairy products venture with local milk co-op Murray Goulburn....
Danone has yet to decide whether to file a new application to the European Food Safety Agency on the claims it makes of the scientific health benefits of Activia yogurt and Actimel milk drinks....
French dairy giant Danone has successfully overturned a 2007 court ruling in Ireland revoking its Essensis yoghurt trademark....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review