FRANCE: Danone FY earnings down on margin pressure
Danone shares rise despite earnings drop
Danone has booked a drop in full-year earnings as profitability came under pressure from higher input costs and the infant formula recall associated with Fonterra's botulism scare.
The company said net income for fiscal 2013 fell to EUR1.64bn (US$2.25bn), down from EUR1.82bn in the comparable period of last year. Operating income dropped 1.1% to EUR2.8bn.
Trading operating profit was hit as the group's margin dropped 81 bps to 13.19% from 14.18%. Trading profit for fresh dairy products was impacted by rising raw materials costs. That issue was, Danone said, "compounded" by Fonterra's recall of concentrated whey powder supplied to the company. While the recall was a false alarm, Danone said it reduced trading profit by an estimated EUR105m.
The company did, however, book a 4.8% increase in organic sales, which rose to EUR21.3bn. The result was slightly above consensus expectations of 4.7%. Sales gains were driven by value and volume growth, Danone revealed.
Looking to 2014, Danone expects sales to grow by 4.5-5.5%. The group also said it would "stabilise" its operating margin, forecasting a range of a fall of 20 basis points and a rise of 20 basis points.
The market reacted positively to the outlook, with shares rising 2.61% at 10.16 GMT.
Click here to view the full earnings update.
Over the next fortnight, we'd like to hear how you see the outlook for your business in 2014.
Now in its third year, the just-food Confidence Survey provides a snapshot of how you and your colleagues in the industry see the year unfolding. The latest survey is live and takes just a few moments to fill in.
In the coming weeks, we'll be reporting on the highlights from the survey in a free webinar live on just-food.com.
As a thank you for filling in the survey, you'll receive an executive summary detailing the results.
Danone SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Danone is the number two French dairy company and it owes its status to a portfolio of world known and strong brands, including Danone and Activia. Danone is very well positioned to take advantage of ...
South African dairy processor Clover Industries has forecast half-year earnings will rise by up to 46% on the back of success in pushing up prices....
Al Safi Danone aims to strengthen its position in dairy in Saudi Arabia and GCC countries through the provision of fresh products and heavy investment in product innovation and marketing....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019