FRANCE: Danone FY earnings down on margin pressure
Danone shares rise despite earnings drop
Danone has booked a drop in full-year earnings as profitability came under pressure from higher input costs and the infant formula recall associated with Fonterra's botulism scare.
The company said net income for fiscal 2013 fell to EUR1.64bn (US$2.25bn), down from EUR1.82bn in the comparable period of last year. Operating income dropped 1.1% to EUR2.8bn.
Trading operating profit was hit as the group's margin dropped 81 bps to 13.19% from 14.18%. Trading profit for fresh dairy products was impacted by rising raw materials costs. That issue was, Danone said, "compounded" by Fonterra's recall of concentrated whey powder supplied to the company. While the recall was a false alarm, Danone said it reduced trading profit by an estimated EUR105m.
The company did, however, book a 4.8% increase in organic sales, which rose to EUR21.3bn. The result was slightly above consensus expectations of 4.7%. Sales gains were driven by value and volume growth, Danone revealed.
Looking to 2014, Danone expects sales to grow by 4.5-5.5%. The group also said it would "stabilise" its operating margin, forecasting a range of a fall of 20 basis points and a rise of 20 basis points.
The market reacted positively to the outlook, with shares rising 2.61% at 10.16 GMT.
Click here to view the full earnings update.
Over the next fortnight, we'd like to hear how you see the outlook for your business in 2014.
Now in its third year, the just-food Confidence Survey provides a snapshot of how you and your colleagues in the industry see the year unfolding. The latest survey is live and takes just a few moments to fill in.
In the coming weeks, we'll be reporting on the highlights from the survey in a free webinar live on just-food.com.
As a thank you for filling in the survey, you'll receive an executive summary detailing the results.
Danone SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and ...
Danone is the number two French dairy company and it owes its status to a portfolio of world known and strong brands, including Danone and Activia. Danone is very well positioned to take advantage of ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
During 2013, Danone continued to see its sales shrink because of the economic recession and drop in disposable income among consumers....
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019