FRANCE: Danone H1 profits down but sticks to FY goals
- H1 profits down
- Sales volumes from dairy, baby food fall
- Maintains FY sales, margin forecasts
H1 results "right where we expected", Danone CEO Frank Riboud insisted
Danone today (25 July) reported a drop in half-year profits, hurt by weak dairy and baby food volumes, but the French group maintained its full-year targets.
Trading operating income, a company figure that excludes one-off items, was down 10% at EUR1.48bn (US$1.99bn) for the six months to the end of June.
Underlying net income dropped 11.5% to EUR683m. Consolidated net income was down 37.4% at EUR608m.
First-half sales were down 5.3% at EUR10.47bn but increased 2.2% on a like-for-like basis.
Price increases helped increase revenue from Danone's dairy division but sales volumes fell in the first half, as did margins.
The price hikes hurt dairy volumes in the CIS region, while Danone said its sales slowed in the US. Sales in Europe "continued to decline", it revealed.
Sales revenue, volumes and margins from Danone's baby food arm fell. Danone said it was still feeling the effect of last year's botulism false alarm at supplier Fonterra, which prompted the French to recall products.
Nonetheless, Danone maintained the targets for annual sales and margins it issued in February.
Shares in Danone were down 0.3% at EUR55.81 at 10:39 CET.
Click here for just-food's 'On the money' coverage of Danone's conference call with analysts.
Click here for the full statement from Danone.
Danone SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and ...
Danone SA (BN) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData t...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth act......
- M&A Watch: Why Danone/Lifeway deal could be next
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Sustainability Watch: WhiteWave Foods
- Shopper trends: Some confidence but promos popular
- DATA: The just-food international basket - Q2 2014
- General Mills Q1 profits tumble
- Sales, operating profit up at Quorn Foods
- Premier Foods revamp creates three divisions
- WhiteWave to buy dairy-free firm So Delicious
- Unilever to boost presence in Nigeria