FRANCE: Danone H1 profits down but sticks to FY goals
- H1 profits down
- Sales volumes from dairy, baby food fall
- Maintains FY sales, margin forecasts
H1 results "right where we expected", Danone CEO Frank Riboud insisted
Danone today (25 July) reported a drop in half-year profits, hurt by weak dairy and baby food volumes, but the French group maintained its full-year targets.
Trading operating income, a company figure that excludes one-off items, was down 10% at EUR1.48bn (US$1.99bn) for the six months to the end of June.
Underlying net income dropped 11.5% to EUR683m. Consolidated net income was down 37.4% at EUR608m.
First-half sales were down 5.3% at EUR10.47bn but increased 2.2% on a like-for-like basis.
Price increases helped increase revenue from Danone's dairy division but sales volumes fell in the first half, as did margins.
The price hikes hurt dairy volumes in the CIS region, while Danone said its sales slowed in the US. Sales in Europe "continued to decline", it revealed.
Sales revenue, volumes and margins from Danone's baby food arm fell. Danone said it was still feeling the effect of last year's botulism false alarm at supplier Fonterra, which prompted the French to recall products.
Nonetheless, Danone maintained the targets for annual sales and margins it issued in February.
Shares in Danone were down 0.3% at EUR55.81 at 10:39 CET.
Click here for just-food's 'On the money' coverage of Danone's conference call with analysts.
Click here for the full statement from Danone.
Canadean's "Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compan...
Danone-Productie si Distributie de Produse Alimentare (PDPA)’s main strategy in Romania consists of attracting consumers with affordable prices, promotions and new product launches. Approximately 90% ...
Danone’s strategic direction in 2014 remained very similar to the strategy adopted the previous year, which was based on launching new products, new formats and new flavours, in order to attract consu...
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- How are brands organising for e-commerce?
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- Free-from firm BFree Foods - bitesize interview
- More M&A likely at McCormick - editor's viewpoint
- Kellogg launches Special K breakfast quiches
- Murray Goulburn accused of "misleading" the market
- Hain Celestial eyes disposals, forms venture unit
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Dole faces DoJ probe over listeria outbreak