FRANCE: Danone posts 35% fall in 2003 net profit
French dairy giant Danone has posted a 35% drop in 2003 net profit, failing to meet market forecasts.
The company reported a net profit of €839m (US$1.06bn) for 2003, compared to €1.28bn in the previous year. Operating profit edged up to €1.60bn on sales of €13.13bn, reported Reuters. Sales in 2002 were €13.56bn.
Analysts polled by Reuters had been expecting, on average, net profit of €847.8m, operating profit of €1.62bn and sales of €13.29bn.
Danone said its underlying sales growth, which excludes the impact of currency fluctuations, acquisitions and divestments, was 7.2%, compared to its target of 5-7%, helped by increased sales of mineral water during last summer's heat wave in Europe.
The company again forecast a rise of 5-7% in underlying sales for 2004.
Danone's biscuit sales fell almost 5% to €3.07bn, while sales of dairy products were €6.19bn in 2003 compared to €6.28bn in 2002. On an underlying basis, the company's biscuit and cereal products division posted sales growth of 0.4%, while the dairy product division posted underlying sales growth of 9.6%.
French food company Groupe Danone, the subject of takeover speculation, has reported a rise in sales in the first half of 2005 to €6.437bn (US$7.8bn), compared with 6.257bn a year ago....
The French government is concerned by the possibility of a hostile takeover of dairy company Danone, and would defend French interests in that regard, said prime minister Dominique de Villepin, accord...
Dairy food group Danone has appointed group secretary general Philippe-Loïc Jacob and vice-president R&D Sven Thormahlen to the Groupe Danone executive committee, in a move designed to ensure that all...
French food group Danone said on Monday that it planned to sell its Amoy sauce business in Asia, an asset that wasn't part of the sale of its sauce business to H J Heinz, according to the Dow Jones ne...
Biscuit-maker Poult has acquired Brittany-based family firm Panier Tanguy to become France's second biggest biscuit producer in the sector behind Danone's LU and the leading manufacturer of retailers'...
Danone's French biscuit-making and cereal products arm, LU France, has signed a lease agreement with distribution facilities and services provider ProLogis to occupy two warehouses near Paris and Lyon...
HP Foods, maker of HP and Lea & Perrins sauces, has attracted at least three offers, valuing the company at up to £500m (US$906m), according to the Financial Times....
France's Groupe Danone and Japan's Yakult Honsha have today (Tuesday) announced plans for a joint venture in India....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report