FRANCE: Danone Q1 volumes disappoint in dairy, infant nutrition
Upbeat Danone sees continued volume pressure
Danone has seen its share price dip this morning (16 April) after reporting first-quarter organic sales that narrowly missed consensus expectations.
The company revealed a 2.2% increase in organic sales in the first three months of the fiscal, climbing to EUR5.34bn (US$7.39bn). Consensus expectations had been for a 2.3% increase. The adverse impact of currency exchange meant reported sales fell 5.2%.
Danone said that the performance was "in line" with its "roadmap" and stressed that it has now "stabilised" its European business, which had suffered in fiscal 2013.
However, analysts pointed to volume declines in fresh dairy and early life nutrition, which resulted in lower volumes across Danone's regions, as cause for concern.
"Although the headline organic growth was broadly in-line with consensus expectations, volume performance was much more disappointing," Sanford C. Bernstein analyst Andrew Wood wrote in a note to investors.
"Negative volume growth in both fresh dairy and early life nutrition, as well as in every region, was a negative surprise. We had expected the weakest volume growth for over a decade...but this was much worse. Consequently, "in-line" results should disappoint."
Danone shares slid 1.35% to EUR52.55 at 11am in Paris this morning.
Click here to view the release issued by Danone today.
Danone SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Danone is the number two French dairy company and it owes its status to a portfolio of world known and strong brands, including Danone and Activia. Danone is very well positioned to take advantage of ...
Danone has confirmed the Greek yoghurts it has developed in tandem with Starbucks in the US will launch into the country's grocery retail channel next month....
Al Safi Danone aims to strengthen its position in dairy in Saudi Arabia and GCC countries through the provision of fresh products and heavy investment in product innovation and marketing....
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details