CANADA: Danone settles health claims lawsuit
Danone settles Activia class action
Danone has offered to settle a class action lawsuit in Canada questioning health claims attached to Activia in order to "quickly resume" its focus on core activities.
A spokesperson for the company told just-food: "Settlement is the option Danone chose to quickly resume our focus on our core business: making nutritious products that provide proven health benefits."
A class action was brought against the company in 2009, contesting claims from the company that Activia, Activia Light and DanActive strengthen the body's defences or regulate digestion because of bacteria they contain.
According to the settlement, any members of the class action who declare that they purchased Activia or Activia Light after April 2009 will qualify for C$15 (US$15) in compensation. Danone evaluated the total potential compensation at C$1.7m.
The company has also made "some changes" to its marketing for the products included in the lawsuit, the spokesperson said.
"We made some changes to the communications for Activia and DanActive to address some of the petitioner's concerns and to demonstrate our good intentions and to clarify our messages. The communications are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations in Canada."
Nevertheless, the spokesperson added: "Our advertising strategy remains unchanged. Minor modifications were made: 'clinically proven' and/or 'scientifically proven' are being replaced with 'there are a number of clinical studies that show'. The statement 'when eaten regularly as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle' will appear where necessary as in the past."
Danone and Japanese probiotic drinks group Yakult Honsha have ended a long-standing alliance and replaced it with a looser "cooperation framework"....
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report