AFRICA: Danone silent over Brookside Dairy acquisition rumours
Danone has refused to comment on speculation it is to acquire Brookside Dairy in Africa
Danone has taken a vow of silence over talks it is to acquire a stake in East African dairy company Brookside Dairy.
"We never comment on rumour," a spokesperson for the French food group told just-food after reports linking it to Kenya-based Brookside.
Danone made that investment in a joint venture with private-equity firm The Abraaj Group.
Abraaj is a long-standing partner of Brookside Dairy, which also operates in Tanzania and Uganda and exports its products to several African countries. It collects around 95% of Kenya's milk and processes it at its Ruiru plant before distributing it across three national depots.
According to local paper The Africa Report, Danone is looking to takeover the minority shares owned by Abraaj in the dairy firm.
Danone declined to comment when approached by just-food.
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- Interview, part 1: Emmi CEO Urs Riedener
- Murray Goulburn's FY results - 7 things to learn
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Australia launches dairy sector probe
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Tyson faces investor scrutiny on ethical issues
- Mengniu grows sales but net profit slips