AFRICA: Danone silent over Brookside Dairy acquisition rumours
Danone has refused to comment on speculation it is to acquire Brookside Dairy in Africa
Danone has taken a vow of silence over talks it is to acquire a stake in East African dairy company Brookside Dairy.
"We never comment on rumour," a spokesperson for the French food group told just-food after reports linking it to Kenya-based Brookside.
Danone made that investment in a joint venture with private-equity firm The Abraaj Group.
Abraaj is a long-standing partner of Brookside Dairy, which also operates in Tanzania and Uganda and exports its products to several African countries. It collects around 95% of Kenya's milk and processes it at its Ruiru plant before distributing it across three national depots.
According to local paper The Africa Report, Danone is looking to takeover the minority shares owned by Abraaj in the dairy firm.
Danone declined to comment when approached by just-food.
- How Hormel Foods can benefit from Justin's
- Colian hungry for international growth - interview
- How discounters unsettling Australia's food sector
- The balancing act at Amy's Kitchen - interview
- Tackling infant formula fraud in China
- US food labels to include "added sugars" info
- General Mills invests in another US SME
- ConAgra focusing on core with Spicetec sale
- Kraft Heinz to expand US plant
- ABP Food Group names COO Frank Stephenson new CEO