FRANCE/NZ: Danone to sue Fonterra over botulism recall
Danone has terminated its contract with Fonterra
Fonterra recalled concentrated whey powder last August over concerns some batches were contaminated with a bacteria that can cause botulism. While it transpired the recall was a false alarm, Danone, a customer of Fonterra, had been forced to recall products containing the ingredient in various markets, including China and New Zealand.
In October, Danone missed third-quarter sales expectations and lowered its full-year revenue and margin forecasts, blaming its recall of infant formula in Asia. Danone said its results were hit by the immediate impact of the recall and added the damage done to its reputation was also having a more lasting impact on sales.
Danone has estimated the recalls resulted in lost sales of EURE350m (US$476m).
The two companies had been engaged in dispute resolution talks, but have been unable to agree on the question of compensation.
In a statement today (9 January), Danone said it was terminating its supply contract with Fonterra. The company insisted the botulism recall showed "serious failings" in Fonterra'a quality standards.
"This affair illustrates serious failings on Fonterra's part in applying the quality standards required in the food industry. Danone is terminating its existing supply contract with Fonterra and making any further collaboration contingent on a commitment by its supplier to full transparency and compliance with the cutting-edge food safety procedures applied to all products supplied to Danone," the company said.
Fonterra insisted it will "vigorously defend any proceedings".
Fonterra is ranked in the top 21 among dairy players. However, this is due for the most part to its strong presence in Australasia. The company is looking to diversify, investing in a China-based dair...
Danone is the fourth largest health and wellness player, and while its core market is Western Europe it is concentrating ever more on emerging markets, in particular Asia Pacific and Latin America. Da...
Al Safi Danone aims to strengthen its position in dairy in Saudi Arabia and GCC countries through the provision of fresh products and heavy investment in product innovation and marketing....
"The Future of the Soy Products Market in the United States to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and c...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis