CANADA: Dare Foods outlines M&A targets
Privately-owned Canadian food group Dare Foods has said it is looking to make acquisitions, with a focus on the cracker and snack sectors.
Dare Foods, which earlier this week announced former Heinz executive Peter Luik would become the company's president next month, is eyeing targets in North America, chairman Bill Farrell told just-food.
Farrell said Dare Foods was looking at deals in all the categories in which it operates, except for confectionery. However, he revealed "speciality crackers and snack products" were of particular interest, with a "focus" on North America.
Dare Foods manufacturers biscuits, crackers, bread products, confectionery and fruit snacks. Its last acquisition was in 2001, when it bought biscuit, fine bread and soup firm Culinar.
Farrell said Luik has the experience of acquiring and integrating businesses in his previous role as president and CEO of Heinz's Canadian operations.
"During Peter's tenure as president and CEO of Heinz Canada, he led the organisation through the acquisitions of Renee's Gourmet and Arthur's Fresh Company. Renee's and Arthur's expanded the portfolio into new and growing categories and provided Heinz Canada with an expertise in chilled product," Farrell said.
In the wake of the Heinz deal, Ben Cooper examines whether private-equity investors are changing their attitudes towards sustainability as some prominent players in the sector are claiming....
Heinz stunned the global food industry with news it had agreed to a US$28bn takeover offer from Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital - purported to be the larges...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide