US: Data breach hit traffic, Target confirms
The data breach was said to have affected shopper information, including names, phone numbers and mailing addresses
A costly data breach hit profits at US retail giant Target Corp. in the fourth quarter but also impacted consumer confidence and traffic.
The company's profit was significantly impacted by the theft of customer payment details, with comparable-store sales also falling following the announcement in December.
That left full-year net profit down 34% to $1.971bn and revenues down 0.9% to $71.3bn, accompanied by a 0.4% decline in comps.
Meanwhile, the company's Canadian segment reported fourth-quarter sales of $623m and an EBIT loss of $329m.
"During the first half of the fourth quarter, our guest-focused holiday merchandising and marketing plans drove better-than-expected sales," said Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president and CEO of Target.
"However, results softened meaningfully following our December announcement of a data breach. As we plan for the new fiscal year, we will continue to work tirelessly to win back the confidence of our guests and deliver irresistible merchandise and offers, and we are encouraged that sales trends have improved in recent weeks."
Target said the data breach had cost it $61m in total expenses during the fourth quarter, partially offset by insurance payments totalling $44m.
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Modern Grocery Retailing market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 0.76 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is th...
Costco Wholesale Corp, which leads mixed retailers in Canada, has performed well in the face of increased competition and a changing social and demographic landscape. While the retailer benefited from...
In Canada, the company is strongly focused on the development of its Wal-Mart Supercenter grocery format, with new stores scheduled to open in the coming years as it prepares for a long battle with ne...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details