JAPAN: Dawn raid at Snow Brand
The Snow Brand milk poisoning crisis rumbles on, with Japanese police now carrying out raids at the company's offices in Tokyo and Osaka. The authorities were hoping to uncover evidence of criminal negligence and failure to adhere to sanitary regulations. The investigations are believed to centre on production procedures and product management.Last month contaminated milk produced by Snow Brand led to 14 000 cases of food poisoning in the worst record outbreak for 30 years. Symptoms included diarrheoa and sickness.According to Japanese legislations, company officials could be subject to prosecution. As a sign of remorse (or in a bid to pacify an outraged population) a number of senior members of staff have tendered their resignations.Snow Brand's shares have been hit hard by the scandal, falling nearly 40 percent to a low of 371 yen (US$3.50) in mid-July.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016