USA: DBRS comments on Sara Lee's purchase of Earthgrains
The Sara Lee Corp. ("Sara Lee" or "the Company"), one of the largest global branded consumer products companies, has announced plans to purchase the Earthgrains Company for cash considerations totalling $2.8 billion, including $978 million of assumed debt. This acquisition should have several positive results: (1) It is expected to quadruple Sara Lee's bakery sales to more than $3.4 billion as they acquire the second-largest American bread company. Sara Lee's Food and Beverages division will now provide more than $10 billion (near 50%) of Sara Lee's total revenues. (2) Earthgrains brings many successful brands that can be leveraged into the Sara Lee banner. (3) Earthgrains brings Sara Lee a strong direct-store distribution (DSD) system with a network covering 34 states, and more than 50% of the American population. (4) The Earthgrains purchase bolsters Sara Lee's European presence with strong brands in France and Spain. (5) Earthgrains' strong presence in refrigerated dough (40% of revenues) will give Sara Lee an entry into this market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti