BELGIUM: Delhaize eyeing Carrefour supermarkets
Posting a lacklustre set of results for fiscal 2008 at the beginning of this month, Carrefour CEO Lars Olofsson said that the company would evaluate its operations in a number of developed European markets, including Belgium.
This news has sparked speculation that the company could be preparing to pull out of the Belgian market. However, Carrefour has remained silent on the progress of its review.
According to a spokesperson for Delhaize, the company has flagged its interest in Carrefour's operations for the past six months.
"If and when the opportunity were to arise, we would be interested in looking at Carrefour's supermarkets. They operate along very similar lines to us - with company owned and franchised supermarkets… and they have some very good locations in Belgium. We would not be interested in their hypermarket business," the spokesman revealed.
"We have not changed our position: we have been saying this for the last six months," he added.
Were Carrefour to put some or all of its stores on the block, Delhaize could face some stiff competition from CVC Capital Partners. The private equity firm has also signalled its interest in the stores, according to newspaper De Standaard.
CVC was unavailable for comment as just-food went to press.
Slowing economic growth and rising unemployment in China may have had slowed growth from the country's retail sector but, as Dominique Patton reports from Beijing, the challenging trading conditions h...
The M&A spotlight moved away from Cadbury this week and shone on JBS, the Brazilian meat group, which, in two fell swoops, looks set to become the world's largest meat processor. The dairy sector - in...
French retailer Carrefour has continued in its attempt to overcome its pricey image with the launch of a new campaign in its home market to highlight the company's value credentials....
French retail giant Carrefour opened its second hypermarket in the Russian market in the southern city of Krasnodar....
Unsurprisingly, Kraft Foods' so far unsuccessful bid for Cadbury dominated this week's top stories on just-food....
The second-largest French banking group Natixis has acquired more than 75% of shares in Russian retail group Seventh Continent, once again swirling rumours about a potential sale to Carrefour....
Belgian food retailer Delhaize has sealed its exit from Germany with the completion of its store sales to Rewe....
Carrefour, the world's second-largest food retailer, said it was unhappy with the results in its French market today (28 August) but said it will not change its goals or its strategy....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report