BELGIUM: Delhaize reports positive growth in home and US markets
Delhaize reports good growth in the Belgian and US markets
Shares in Delhaize Group rose today (23 January) after the Belgium-based retailer booked higher sales for the fourth quarter of 2013, with its performance at home and in the US, its largest market, beat expectations.
Fourth-quarter revenue grew 0.1%, or by 3% at identical exchange rates. Comparable-store sales in the US rose 2.8%. In Belgium, comparable-store sales were up 2.4%.
"Our fourth quarter 2013 sales were strong both in the US and in Belgium," president and CEO Frans Muller said.
"In the US, where volume growth continued to be positive, we were especially pleased with Food Lion's momentum. Despite the ongoing competitive trading conditions, our operations in Belgium delivered solid year-end sales."
However, comparable-store sales in south-eastern Europe dipped 0.6%. Muller said the performance was "good" but noted weakness in Serbia.
"In the face of a challenging economy in Southeastern Europe our businesses in Greece and Romania posted good sales growth while Serbia's performance remained below expectations," he said.
The group generated preliminary unaudited underlting profits of approximately EU770m.
Going forward, Muller said efforts to grow revenue by improving its customer proposition would be the focus.
"Additionally, we will seek to further reduce complexity and costs, remain disciplined with respect to capital allocation and ultimately continue to deliver healthy free cash flow."
Agricultural Products in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
Introduction Food Retail in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The pro......
2013 saw the continuous development of trends seen in 2012: the strength of the authenticity trend favoured brands such as Delhaize Group SA, which strongly marketed its own organic labels. Value-for-...
Fruit & vegetables in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile a...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details