BELGIUM/US: Delhaize to cut 500 posts in US
Belgium-based retailer Delhaize Group, which runs chains including Food Lion and Hannaford in the US, is to cut 500 jobs from its business across the Atlantic.
The posts include 150 open positions across its US unit, a spokesperson for Delhaize America told just-food.
"These decisions were carefully considered and made with the ultimate goal of serving our customers, growing our business and creating shareholder value," she said.
Delhaize saw its sales in the US come under pressure in 2012. Its comparable-store sales fell 0.8%.
The retailer has yet to publish its profits for 2012 but, in the period to the end of September, it booked a 19% slide in operating profit for its US business.
In December, it shook up its management team in the US, including appointing new presidents for its Food Lion, Hannaford and Sweetbay chains.
Delhaize will report its full-year financial results for 2012 next month.
What is your outlook for the industry in 2013?
Join hundreds of food industry executives in giving your views on the prospects for the sector in just-food.com's annual confidence survey - and have the chance to win one of five free annual subscriptions to just-food.com worth £175.
Click here to answer questions on M&A, consumer confidence, innovation and sustainability.
All answers will remain confidential. Results will be published in a just-food webinar on 28 February.
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities