BELGIUM/US: Delhaize to cut 500 posts in US
Belgium-based retailer Delhaize Group, which runs chains including Food Lion and Hannaford in the US, is to cut 500 jobs from its business across the Atlantic.
The posts include 150 open positions across its US unit, a spokesperson for Delhaize America told just-food.
"These decisions were carefully considered and made with the ultimate goal of serving our customers, growing our business and creating shareholder value," she said.
Delhaize saw its sales in the US come under pressure in 2012. Its comparable-store sales fell 0.8%.
The retailer has yet to publish its profits for 2012 but, in the period to the end of September, it booked a 19% slide in operating profit for its US business.
In December, it shook up its management team in the US, including appointing new presidents for its Food Lion, Hannaford and Sweetbay chains.
Delhaize will report its full-year financial results for 2012 next month.
What is your outlook for the industry in 2013?
Join hundreds of food industry executives in giving your views on the prospects for the sector in just-food.com's annual confidence survey - and have the chance to win one of five free annual subscriptions to just-food.com worth £175.
Click here to answer questions on M&A, consumer confidence, innovation and sustainability.
All answers will remain confidential. Results will be published in a just-food webinar on 28 February.
Throughout the forecast period there is great potential for Lion Superindo –Gelael PT to expand its Super Indo supermarket network outside Java, especially in major cities outside Java, such as Medan,...
- General Mills US "priority" categories gain share
- The just-food interview: Doux CEO Arnaud Marion
- Interview part 2: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Focus: Danone CEO Faber puts stamp on business
- 2015 preview: A better deal for M&A sellers
- General Mills outlines "aggressive" NPD drive
- Kraft to reappraise business, says new CEO Cahill
- General Mills earnings drop one-third
- Coles supplier payments broke competition law
- PepsiCo opens snacks plant in Saudi Arabia