USA: Despite Mom's Rules, Eating with Your Hands is Big Business
MarketResearch.com, a premiere business intelligence marketplace serving the Fortune 1000, announced today the release of a new study "The U.S. Market For Frozen And Refrigerated Hand-Held Foods," by Kalorama Information. According to the study, retail sales of hand-held foods for 1999 topped $1.6 billion. Annual sales are expected to grow an average of 7% annually from 2000-2004 with 2004 sales projected at $2.3 billion.Hand-held foods have become the No. 1 growth segment in the U.S. frozen and refrigerated food market, and are broken down into two categories, entrees and appetizers/snack rolls. In 1999, retail sales for entrees were $1,101 million compared to $533 million for appetizers/snack rolls. Frozen hand-held entrees captured the lead, accounting for 60% of retail sales in 1999 vs. refrigerated entrees at 7%. Frozen appetizers/snack rolls accounted for 32% of dollar sales, up six percentage points from 1995, vs. refrigerated appetizers/snack rolls holding steady at 1%.Attention is being paid to consumers ever-changing needs. Price points ranging from under $1 to $10 make hand-held foods an attractive option. "Continual changes in eating patterns will create a demand for user-friendly quick meals and snacks, which will drive the hand-held foods market," said Claire Madden, VP of Marketing. Organics continue to be the fastest-growing food segment, with sales gains over 50% from 1997 to 1998. Vegetarian offerings across the category are appealing to non-vegetarian consumers who are health conscious. Competition is becoming fierce and innovative ideas for new products and creative marketing strategies are essential for marketers in this arena.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review