FRANCE: Dia "mulls potential sale of French stores"
Dia saw sales in France tumble over 11% in 2013
Spain-based discounter Dia has reportedly hired bankers to look at the potential sale of its operations in France.
Dia is mulling its options over its 865 stores in France, Bloomberg has reported, citing anonymous sources.
The retailer, created when it was spun out of Carrefour, could sell its business in France this year, the report said.
France is Dia's second-largest market by store count. However, in 2013, the retailer closed 23 outlets in the country. Net sales there dropped 11.3% to EUR1.9bn (US$2.62bn). Dia's group net sales increased 6% last year.
When Dia reported its results for 2013 in February, Inigo Egusquiza, a retail analyst at Kepler Cheuvreux, said margins from the retailer's French unit had worsened in the latter part of the year - and speculated what the company could do with the business. A sale, Egusquiza argued, would not be simple.
"EBITDA margin dilution has accelerated - close to 200 basis points in Q4 - and an urgent solution is needed. Dia is mulling over various alternatives, from the full (seems tough) to a partial sale of Dia France, but this would not be easy in our view," Equsguiza wrote.
Dia did not respond a request for comment when contacted by just-food yesterday (1 April).
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Spain. Introduction and Landscape Why was the repo...
In 2011 Dia Portugal Supermercados was sold by Carrefour to Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, a Spanish company. However, in Portugal the company continued to operate exclusively under its ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Turkey....
Carrefour Polska Sp zoo aims at further strengthening its position basically via organic growth within all formats it is operating in, such as hypermarkets, supermarkets and convenience stores. Howeve...
Following the acquisition by well-established Indonesian business empire CT Corp, Carrefour is likely to continue its outlet expansion over the forecast period. Aiming at double-digit annual growth, o...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Premier Foods adds to Mr Kipling range
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis