FRANCE: Dia "mulls potential sale of French stores"
Dia saw sales in France tumble over 11% in 2013
Spain-based discounter Dia has reportedly hired bankers to look at the potential sale of its operations in France.
Dia is mulling its options over its 865 stores in France, Bloomberg has reported, citing anonymous sources.
The retailer, created when it was spun out of Carrefour, could sell its business in France this year, the report said.
France is Dia's second-largest market by store count. However, in 2013, the retailer closed 23 outlets in the country. Net sales there dropped 11.3% to EUR1.9bn (US$2.62bn). Dia's group net sales increased 6% last year.
When Dia reported its results for 2013 in February, Inigo Egusquiza, a retail analyst at Kepler Cheuvreux, said margins from the retailer's French unit had worsened in the latter part of the year - and speculated what the company could do with the business. A sale, Egusquiza argued, would not be simple.
"EBITDA margin dilution has accelerated - close to 200 basis points in Q4 - and an urgent solution is needed. Dia is mulling over various alternatives, from the full (seems tough) to a partial sale of Dia France, but this would not be easy in our view," Equsguiza wrote.
Dia did not respond a request for comment when contacted by just-food yesterday (1 April).
Carrefour SA Carrefour Sabançi Ticaret Merkezi aims to increase its share in Turkey by offering high-quality products at reasonable prices. To this end, the company aims to increase its presence throu...
Carrefour S.A. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product an...
Two key themes were once again in evidence on our pages this week: the importance of securing the supply chain in a world where commodities are becoming more hotly contested and the task of leveraging...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Spain. Introduction and Landscape Why was the repo...
Synopsis Canadean's "Carrefour S.A. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company ...
In 2011 Dia Portugal Supermercados was sold by Carrefour to Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, a Spanish company. However, in Portugal the company continued to operate exclusively under its ...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report