HONG KONG/FRANCE: Did suppliers force Carrefour to pull out of Hong Kong?
Days after French retail giant Carrefour announced it would be closing down its Hong Kong operations, the group criticised restrictive town planning laws and cut-throat competition for the move. However, industry analysts are speculating that other retailers had made sure Carrefour could not rent larger sites in a bid to stop it expanding.When Carrefour arrived in Hong Kong, the comfortable status quo of the retail sector came under threat from aggressive discounting policies. It is possible that suppliers threatened to boycott the French group unless it stopped discounting its goods on offer. Its rivals, ParknShop and Wellcome, rarely use the radical discount and promotion tactics that are common fare in Europe and the US. The case has highlighted the importance of researching the cultural norms prevailing in a foreign market before moving in with retail practices that might not succeed.For earlier news on Carrefour's exit strategy from Hong Kong
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review