USA/NORWAY: Dietary supplements shown to fight fat
So there could really be something in it. According to a new report by scientists in the US and Norway, conjugated lineolic acid (CLA) helps slimmers lose fat without shedding muscle. A naturally occurring fatty acid found in many dairy products and beef, CLA has been used in trials lasting several months. Average weight loss from the Norwegian trial equated to a 160 pound person losing two to three pounds over twelve weeks.The results, which were presented to the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society, are not yet conclusive, but they have been received as a strong indication that food supplements will continue to boom. As the wider population seeks gratification through food, dieting is becoming less popular, and food supplements are on the rise. Anglo-Dutch conglomerate Unilever tapped into this trend with its recent acquisition of US food supplement group SlimFast, and will doubtless be eagerly awaiting more positive test results from CLA trials.It has also been suggested that CLA may help combat certain types of cancer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review