SPAIN: Discounter Dia books increased FY profits
The Spain-listed company, which has over 6,800 stores in seven markets, booked adjusted net profit of EUR156.2m (US$210.2m), up 14.2% on 2010. Adjusted EBITDA increased 10.1% to EUR558.4m.
Net profit, which includes non-recurring items including restructuring and impairment costs, more than doubled to EUR94.4m.
The increase in profits came on the back of higher sales. Net sales were up 2% at EUR9.78bn. By the end of 2011, Dia had 6,833 stores, a 7.2% increase on 2010. It had 2,584 franchised outlets, 514 more than in 2010 but had 54 fewer stores at 4,249. It did not provide a figure for like-for-like sales or how much they had changed when compared to 2010.
The retailer said it had achieved its target of having over 6,800 stores by the end of the year. It is planning to open 425-475 outlets this year and is targeting having 8,000 outlets by the end of 2013 or soon after.
By the end of 2011, Dia had more stores in six of its seven markets. In France, it had 20 fewer outlets due to having 89 fewer of its own stores.
France was also the only of the seven markets in which Dia's net sales fell, dropping 6.4%.
There was a French flavour to the major industry headlines last week. Casino triumphantly announced its control of Brazil's largest retailer CBD. The new CEO at rival French retailer Carrefour made hi...
The price of milk dominated headlines in the UK this week, with farmers gathering at a summit to air their views on the implications of the cuts and discuss what can be done. Elsewhere, French retaile...
UK dairy farmers this week gathered at a summit in London to air their views on recent cuts in prices to liquid milk and the implications of the cuts. In the US, PepsiCo and Müller made the much-antic...
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review