SIAL: DMK targeting Oldenburger growth with brand relaunch
DMK believes a product's "heritage" is key in overseas markets
DMK unveiled a new design for its Oldenburger export brand in Paris this week as the German dairy company looks to emphasise the product's heritage and reputation for quality.
Speaking at SIAL, the food industry trade show, DMK's international marketing manager Frauke Windolph told just-food the company is focusing on growing its Oldenburger brand in the dairy and dairy ingredients categories.
DMK produces cheeses and dairy ingredients under the brand. Oldenburger's largest category is milk powders. At SIAL this year, DMK is also launching an Oldenburger UHT yoghurt product - which comes in four flavours - plain sugared, peach, strawberry and blueberry - and the company is looking at extending the brand to other products in the dairy category, Windolph revealed.
In a bid to boost the brand's international appeal, DMK is developing a new "brand strategy" for Oldenburger. "We are working on a design relaunch. The packaging will be more contemporary. We are focusing more on our tradition, our heritage of being from Germany, which is very important in export markets. It is definitely a sign of quality," Windolph said.
The new packaging features a redesigned logo and shows the "green grass of where we come from, the cow: it is pure, it is natural," she added.
DMK exports Oldenburger to 80 countries, including Spain, Greece, Italy, Russia and China. Windolph said that the group is particularly focused on increasing its sales to China.
"We are looking very much into China. But with China you always have to keep in mind that, yes it is a country, but it is also a continent. You are talking about very different types of consumers and customers."
While Oldenburger's new brand strategy looks to highlight the brands German origins, Windolph suggested DMK is also working on the development of products that are tailored to meet the specific taste preferences of Chinese consumers. These products are in the pipeline, Windolph confirmed.
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019