SIAL: DMK targeting Oldenburger growth with brand relaunch
DMK believes a product's "heritage" is key in overseas markets
DMK unveiled a new design for its Oldenburger export brand in Paris this week as the German dairy company looks to emphasise the product's heritage and reputation for quality.
Speaking at SIAL, the food industry trade show, DMK's international marketing manager Frauke Windolph told just-food the company is focusing on growing its Oldenburger brand in the dairy and dairy ingredients categories.
DMK produces cheeses and dairy ingredients under the brand. Oldenburger's largest category is milk powders. At SIAL this year, DMK is also launching an Oldenburger UHT yoghurt product - which comes in four flavours - plain sugared, peach, strawberry and blueberry - and the company is looking at extending the brand to other products in the dairy category, Windolph revealed.
In a bid to boost the brand's international appeal, DMK is developing a new "brand strategy" for Oldenburger. "We are working on a design relaunch. The packaging will be more contemporary. We are focusing more on our tradition, our heritage of being from Germany, which is very important in export markets. It is definitely a sign of quality," Windolph said.
The new packaging features a redesigned logo and shows the "green grass of where we come from, the cow: it is pure, it is natural," she added.
DMK exports Oldenburger to 80 countries, including Spain, Greece, Italy, Russia and China. Windolph said that the group is particularly focused on increasing its sales to China.
"We are looking very much into China. But with China you always have to keep in mind that, yes it is a country, but it is also a continent. You are talking about very different types of consumers and customers."
While Oldenburger's new brand strategy looks to highlight the brands German origins, Windolph suggested DMK is also working on the development of products that are tailored to meet the specific taste preferences of Chinese consumers. These products are in the pipeline, Windolph confirmed.
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details