GERMANY: DMK urges industry to use M&A to build export strength
Further consolidation is needed in Germany's dairy sector to ensure the country can compete in the world's fast-growing markets for dairy products, according to DMK, the nation's largest processor.
DMK was formed last year through the merger of German co-operatives Nordmilch and Humana Milchindustrie and accounts for 20-25% of Germany's milk production.
Speaking to just-food at the Anuga trade exhibition in Cologne, a spokesperson for DMK said Germany's dairy industry remained fragmented compared to markets like Denmark and the Netherlands.
Aside from the creation of DMK, Germany's dairy sector has seen a number of M&A moves in recent months, led by Arla, which has moved to buy Hansa Milch and Allgäuland Käsereien.
More consolidation was vital, the DMK spokesperson said, to enable Germany's dairy industry to compete effectively in fast-growing markets for dairy in regions like Asia.
She said DMK should not be the only dairy processor in Germany driving the consolidation in the sector. "We hope the fact that other European dairies are trying to get into the German market wakes up some of the other local dairies to take part in the concentration of the market."
The merger of Nordmilch and Humana Milchindustrie has created a company with the ability and resources to expand its overseas operations and develop new products for consumers in emerging markets, the spokesperson explained. "Size allows you to develop your business and to improve your innovation," she added.
Dutch dairy giant FrieslandCampina has taken a majority stake in Philippines firm Alaska Milk Corp....
Dairy giant Arla Foods said today (23 February) that 2012 profits would be "on par" with last year, when its consumer brands and ingredients divisions boosted earnings....
German dairy giant DMK is to expand its ingredients business through the acquisition of a further stake in DP Supply....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- Mead Johnson offsets China slowdown
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report