USA: Does the Functional Food Bandwagon Have a Flat Tire? Promar Analysis Sees Sharp Decline in New Products
Data analyzed by Promar International show functional food product introductions are down by almost half in the first eight months of 2000 compared with the same period last year. The drop is across the board, but is most significant in beverages and snacks-particularly in the cluttered energy bar category."This is what we expected," says Margaux Locklear, Strategic Marketing Analyst for Promar International. "The failure rate for new food products is always high, but simply adding gingko or echinacea to an existing product and slapping a new label on it doesn't qualify as a strategy. A number of industry players, both large and small, are finding that out and have become more careful about entering what remains a tremendous growth market."The current and future promise of functional foods-and strategies for exploiting market growth -is the focus of Promar's recent study, "Food Doctors: The future of nutraceuticals in the United States." It is available at a cost of $14,000. Study details including a table of contents and sample pages can be viewed in Adobe format at:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements