US: Dole Food Co funds water scheme to settle lawsuit
Dole Food Co has agreed to help deliver a water filter project in local communities in Guatemala, in order to settle a lawsuit over its environmental practices in the country.
Dole said late last week that it will work with non-profit group Water and Sanitation Health on the project, which is part of a settlement for a lawsuit filed in California in November last year.
The global food and fresh produce giant continued to deny allegations of wrongdoing in Guatemala.
"Dole joins in this outreach to emphasize our continuing commitment to developing world-class environmental and sustainable programmes for Dole’s owned farms," said Dole's president for Latin America, Jonathan Bass.
Class Action Lawsuit Filed against Dole Alleging Environmental Misrepresentations Resolved
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA - January 25, 2013
Dole Food Company, Inc. (NYSE:DOLE) announced today that the parties have amicably resolved the class action lawsuit alleging Dole misrepresented its commitment to the environment. The lawsuit, Clayton Laderer v. Dole Food Company, Inc., was filed in November 2012 in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
In coordination with social programs already undertaken by Dole’s independent grower in Guatemala, Dole and the non-profit organization Water and Sanitation Health, Inc. will collaborate together on a water filter project to assist the local communities in Guatemala. While Dole denies the allegations made against it and its grower in the lawsuit, Dole has reached this resolution because it believes continued outreach and education regarding water sanitation techniques will benefit the local communities.
“Dole is proud to contribute to these efforts to assist local communities in Guatemala. Our grower, who is fully certified by numerous independent certifying agencies, is already a long-standing champion for the local communities and has made significant charitable contributions to enhance social welfare, health, and well-being. Dole joins in this outreach to emphasize our continuing commitment to developing world-class environmental and sustainable programs for Dole’s owned farms, as well as Dole’s commitment to seek to partner with growers with similar goals,” said Jonathan Bass, President for Dole Latin America.
About Dole Food Company
Dole, with 2011 net revenues of $6.9 billion, is the world’s largest producer and marketer of high-quality fresh fruit and fresh vegetables, and is the leading producer of organic bananas. Dole markets a growing line of packaged and frozen fruit and is a produce industry leader in nutrition education and research.
Original source: http://www.dole.com/Company-Info/Press-Releases/Press-Release-20130125
Sectors: Sustainability & the environment
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report