UK: Doritos to advertise in space
Snack brand Doritos is set to be advertised in space, as part of the latest marketing campaign for the PepsiCo product.
UK consumers will have the chance to enter a competition to have their ad beamed into space in June.
The winning ad, which will also be aired on UK television, will be broadcast from a 500MHz ultra high frequency radar from the EISCAT Space Centre in Svalbard, Norway.
The transmission will be directed at a solar system just 42 light years away from Earth.
Peter Charles, head of the Doritos broadcast project, said: "By broadcasting the winning ad to the universe, Doritos is giving someone from this country the chance to go down in history as the creator of the first ever extra-terrestrial advert."
The winner will also win GBP20,000 (US$40,300).
The Doritos broadcast project is being undertaken with the help of astronomers and academics from Leicester University and is also being supported by EISCAT (The European Incoherent SCATter Scientific Association), which studies solar-planetary interactions and operates a series of radar systems.
The extra-terrestrial broadcast is scheduled for 12 June and the ad will be aired on UK TV from 15 June.
Obesity and alcohol abuse are deemed as two of the biggest ills facing UK society and the food and drink industries find themselves in the firing line from government and the media. However, this week...
Under the stewardship of CEO Indra Nooyi, PepsiCo has so far been able to shrug off the rising costs and economic slowdown that has taken the shine off many food companies. Nevertheless, Nooyi remains...
PepsiCo has launched a Quaker-branded protein-enhanced granola bar in the US....
The confidence that private equity has in the food sector came to the fore again this week with Lion Capital's move to buy two household names - Young's and Findus....
Food manufacturing giants including Cadbury, Kellogg and Mars have pledged more than GBP200m (US$398m) to support a UK government-backed scheme to tackle obesity in the country....
PepsiCo has today (23 July) posted double-digit sales and earnings growth for the first half of the year....
Frito-Lay, PepsiCo's snacks division, has launched Truenorth, a range of "natural nut snacks", in the US....
Wimm-Bill-Dann Foods has said that it will resist future takeover moves from multinationals looking to expand in Russia....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review