UK: Dr Oetker "misleading" pizza ad banned
Dr Oetker has been asked to pull its ad which the ASA says is misleading
Dr Oetker has had its wrist slapped by the UK advertising watchdog after the body found an ad in which it compared its Chicago Town pizza with Domino's was "misleading".
The ad was challenged by a viewer who said the claim "voted no.1 vs Domino's" was misleading and questioned if it could be substantiated.
Dr Oetker asked 170 respondents to taste its pizza against Pizza Hut and Domino's and select preferences based on taste description and price. Of the sample, 39% chose Chicago Town, 37% Pizza Hut and 24% Domino's.
"From the data presented it was not possible to tell which of the other pizzas (Chicago Town or Domino's) this 37% of participants would have selected in a head-to-head test and we therefore considered it was misleading to imply that Chicago Town had beaten Domino's in a head-to-head test," the Advertising Standards Authority said in a ruling issued today (30 July).
In addition, the body pointed out only one flavour ad been tested. Dr Oetker was instructed not to air the ad again in its current form.
A spokesperson for Dr Oetker told just-food today: "The complaint was upheld as the ASA state that the specific variety tested (pepperoni) should have been made clearer. This was the only variety shown in the advert with the terms and conditions clearly stating 'test on one variant'. We also acknowledge that we did not reveal the other pizza included in the taste test as Pizza Hut double pepperoni stuffed crust and instead referred to them as competitor A."
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global prepared meals market during August 2014. Using t...
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global prepared meals market during August 2014. Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest h...
Synopsis The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global prepared meals market during May 2014. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into...
The rising significance of the indulgence trend in Belgium helped bring dynamism the otherwise declining category of other dairy during 2013. New product development was scarce in the category during ...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies Market in Egypt: Market Profile to 2017