CHINA: DSM opens flavour plant
DSM is opening a flavours plant in China, doubling capacity in the region and demonstrating the group's commitment to serving the expanding market.
The new facility, to be located in Xinghuo, near Shanghai, will allow DSM to offer its Chinese customers a wider product range, DSM said.
Commenting on the opening of the plant, Xander Wessels, Business group director DSM Food Specialties said: "We are delighted to see our investment in process flavours come to fruition after considerable investment and effort by the company, its partners and suppliers. The new plant opening is testament to our ambitious growth plans and fits closely with the objectives of our strategy Vision 2010 - Building on strengths.
"The launch of this new facility serves two purposes: growing our product portfolio and expanding our presence in the emerging Chinese market. We have seen a significant growth in demand for process flavours over the past few years, so we are delighted that we can now provide our customers with a range of high-quality ingredients through our state-of-the-art plant."
DSM revealed that its level of investment in the new flavours plant was in the region of EUR10m (US$13.59m).
Process flavours are used in culinary and savoury products such as soups, snacks and ready meals.
The increasing Westernisation and consumer sophistication in Asia Pacific markets is reflected in rising sales of processed meat and vegetables and ready meals. Emily Woon of Euromonitor International...
For cultural reasons, the ready meals category remains virtually undeveloped in certain Asia Pacific countries, but elsewhere in the region sales are growing, spurred by changing lifestyles and retail...
Iceland-based food group Bakkavor has pointed to the "toughest trading conditions in decades" after posting a 6% drop in quarterly profits....
Belgium-based retailer Delhaize has signed a deal with Pinguin that will see the vegetable processor produce a range of frozen ready meals for the company....
Northern Foods has issued a mixed trading update for the first half of its financial year, with underlying sales expected to inch up by 2.6%....
Finland's Atria has moved to restore profitability at Swedish sandwich and salad maker Sardus Latta Maaltider....
US food group Tyson Foods has expanded its line of ready meals....
General Mills chief Steve Sanger has praised a "very good start" to the company's financial year as profits rose 9%....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report