UK: Duchy Originals reports loss as sales slump
Waitrose to "more than double" range - Duchy chairman
Duchy Originals, the UK organic food business founded by the Prince of Wales, has booked a loss of over GBP3m (US$4.7m) as sales slumped and the company incurred costs from the sale of its bakery.
In a filing at Companies House, Duchy reported a loss of GBP3.3m for the year to the end of March 2009.
The loss was due in part to just under GBP2m in charges from the subsequent sale of its bakery site in Launceston.
Excluding one-off costs that included the Launceston sale, Duchy booked a loss of GBP1.2m.
Turnover came in at GBP2.2m, against GBP4.1m in Duchy's previous financial year.
In prior years, Duchy handed its profits to the Prince of Wales' Charities Foundations but the loss meant no donation was made this year.
However, chairman Michael Jary said Duchy's tie-up with Waitrose, the upmarket UK retailer, will "significantly increase" the company's donations with investment in the Duchy brand planned.
Waitrose will make, distribute and sell Duchy products in the UK and Jary said the retailer aims to double the Duchy range from 200 products "to around 500".
Jary added: "The agreement is good for the company, good for the Duchy Originals brand, good for Waitrose, good for our consumers and good for charity."
Upmarket UK grocer Waitrose has appointed David Jones as supply chain director....
Clapham House, the owner of the Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Real Greek brands, has launched a range of supermarket burgers....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020