FRANCE: E Europe, Asia offset domestic challenges for Auchan
Sales at Auchan's French stores came under pressure
Auchan, the French retail giant, has reported higher annual sales and earnings for 2013 but saw domestic sales fall.
In a mixed set of results, Auchan also said expansion helped its top line. Like-for-like sales, excluding fuel and at constant exchange rates, were down 0.5%.
The retailer booked net profit of EUR767m (US$1.06bn), up 19.3% on 2012. EBITDA grew 5% to reach EUR2.64bn.
The improved earnings came on the back of an increase in sales. Auchan said its consolidated revenue excluding taxes was up 3.4% at EUR48.08bn.
Excluding fuel and at constant exchange rates, pro-forma revenue including taxes rose by 4.2%, thanks to the company's expansion, Auchan said. However, on a like-for-like basis Auchan's revenue dipped 0.5%.
In France, Auchan's sales fell 1.1%, thanks to lower sales from the retailer's hypermarkets. Last month, Auchan said it would cut 300 jobs at its hypermarkets in France by 2017 as part of moves to shake up the way it staffs its stores.
Combined sales in Eastern Europe and Asia were up 11.1%, Auchan said, thanks in part to expansion. Earlier this month, Auchan's listed Chinese venture Sun Art Retail Group booked higher annual sales and profits for 2013.
Chairman Vianney Mulliez said: "It is worth noting that our revenue growth was fully driven by central and eastern Europe and Asia, whose weightings within the group increase each year."
He added: "In 2013, our winning growth strategy meant we could continue generating revenue growth at a time when the sales activities of our hypermarkets in France and for all our networks in Italy were at a standstill and fell short of our expectations.
"On the whole, Groupe Auchan improved the resilience of its business and sales models in 2013 and strengthened its growth potential for the future."
Click here for the full statement from Auchan.
Auchan Polska Sp zoo wishes to focus its operational strategy on offering the lowest possible prices, providing customers with broad product assortment and the highest quality customer service. With r...
The key directions for Auchan development in France are introduction of more Drive stores and the development of Auchan’s convenience stores – A2pas. This is due to a predicted decline of hypermarkets...
After the successful integration of numerous hypermarkets formerly operated under the Cora banner during 2013, Auchan has been able to strengthen its position through entering into partnerships with l...
Auchan Hypermarket Ukraine introduced a new concept for Ukraine, the so-called “discounter hypermarket”. This format provides the lowest prices in the entire range of these stores. It goal is to impro...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report