JAPAN: Earnings at c-store retailer Lawson increase
Japan-based convenience retailer Lawson Inc has reported record nine-month profits despite a dip in sales.
Net profit was up 6.7% at JPY30.4bn (US$290.2bn), with operating profit 2.4% higher at JPY54.7bn. Lawson pointed to the gains from its "efficient store-opening strategy".
The launch of freshly-brewed coffee and investment in food ingredients to be prepared and eaten at home boosted margins.
However, the lines failed offset weak cigarette sales, which meant gross operating revenue dipped 0.6% to JPY370.04bn.
Lawson opened 294 stores in Japan during the period, taking its estate to 11,270 outlets. It also opened 35 stores overseas, including its first in outlets in Beijing and in Thailand. However, Lawson has closed 20 stores in Indonesia, where it now has 83.
The retailer stuck to its forecasts of a 8.2% increase in net income to JPY35.9bn, for operating income to grow 5.7% to JPY70bn and for revenue to rise 3.2% to JPY503bn.
Canadean's "Lawson, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, k...
Lawson aims to increase its operating profits to ¥100.0 billion by 2020. In order to achieve this, the company plans to expand its consumer profile, especially to women and older consumers, as the cur...
Agricultural Products in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
Organic Food in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descri...
Introduction Food Retail in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
Grocery retailers recorded a marginal decline in current value during 2013. Although convenience stores increased in current value by 5% in 2013, almost all the other grocery retailers categories, inc...
The Japanese retailing industry performed well during 2013 as the country benefited from the policies which constitute ‘Abenomics’, which refers to the current Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s eco...
Business Monitor International's Japan Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bod...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015