CAGE 2014: Ebro Foods urges for "meaningful" NPD
Value-added innovation key for Ebro Foods
Market-specific launches are key to the success of a new product, Ebro Foods told an audience at this year's CAGE conference in London.
Rafael López Relimpio, a member of the Ebro management committee, said the firm had had pencilled "about 50" new product launches for the year. However, he stressed that NPD was about "creating meaningful launches" rather than rolling out a single product to every market.
"For example, in the US we have a pool of microwaveable products that is growing very well. In France it is fresh pasta which presents an incredible opportunity," Relimpio observed.
"Proper execution is as important to the innovation or concept itself. We have limited resources so we choose wisely where our innovation goes," he said.
He added that Ebro Foods was "very active in innovation" with 20% of its sales in 2013 coming from new launches.
While there were no plans for any M&A that he could announce, Lopez said the food firm would concentrate on launches in adjacent categories such as fresh pasta and sauces.
An example Lopez gave was that of potato-based products which he said presented a "huge opportunity".
"It started as an Italian concept - gnocchi, we revolutionised the category in France by means of presenting it in a different concept - stir-fried gnocchi and we have turned it into a 10,000 tonne business in ten years time.
"Now we are looking for many other opportunities and variants on potato based. Refrigerated potatoes versus IQF we think will be a huge opportunity for us," he added.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Synopsis The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global pasta & noodles market during June 2014. ...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global pasta & noodles market during December 2013....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global pasta & noodles market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into th...
"The Future of the Pasta & Noodles Market in India to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company re...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details