CAGE 2014: Ebro Foods urges for "meaningful" NPD
Value-added innovation key for Ebro Foods
Market-specific launches are key to the success of a new product, Ebro Foods told an audience at this year's CAGE conference in London.
Rafael López Relimpio, a member of the Ebro management committee, said the firm had had pencilled "about 50" new product launches for the year. However, he stressed that NPD was about "creating meaningful launches" rather than rolling out a single product to every market.
"For example, in the US we have a pool of microwaveable products that is growing very well. In France it is fresh pasta which presents an incredible opportunity," Relimpio observed.
"Proper execution is as important to the innovation or concept itself. We have limited resources so we choose wisely where our innovation goes," he said.
He added that Ebro Foods was "very active in innovation" with 20% of its sales in 2013 coming from new launches.
While there were no plans for any M&A that he could announce, Lopez said the food firm would concentrate on launches in adjacent categories such as fresh pasta and sauces.
An example Lopez gave was that of potato-based products which he said presented a "huge opportunity".
"It started as an Italian concept - gnocchi, we revolutionised the category in France by means of presenting it in a different concept - stir-fried gnocchi and we have turned it into a 10,000 tonne business in ten years time.
"Now we are looking for many other opportunities and variants on potato based. Refrigerated potatoes versus IQF we think will be a huge opportunity for us," he added.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Synopsis The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global pasta & noodles market during June 2014. ...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global pasta & noodles market during December 2013....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global pasta & noodles market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into th...
"The Future of the Pasta & Noodles Market in India to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company re...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies Market in Egypt: Market Profile to 2017