CAGE 2014: Ebro Foods urges for "meaningful" NPD
Value-added innovation key for Ebro Foods
Market-specific launches are key to the success of a new product, Ebro Foods told an audience at this year's CAGE conference in London.
Rafael López Relimpio, a member of the Ebro management committee, said the firm had had pencilled "about 50" new product launches for the year. However, he stressed that NPD was about "creating meaningful launches" rather than rolling out a single product to every market.
"For example, in the US we have a pool of microwaveable products that is growing very well. In France it is fresh pasta which presents an incredible opportunity," Relimpio observed.
"Proper execution is as important to the innovation or concept itself. We have limited resources so we choose wisely where our innovation goes," he said.
He added that Ebro Foods was "very active in innovation" with 20% of its sales in 2013 coming from new launches.
While there were no plans for any M&A that he could announce, Lopez said the food firm would concentrate on launches in adjacent categories such as fresh pasta and sauces.
An example Lopez gave was that of potato-based products which he said presented a "huge opportunity".
"It started as an Italian concept - gnocchi, we revolutionised the category in France by means of presenting it in a different concept - stir-fried gnocchi and we have turned it into a 10,000 tonne business in ten years time.
"Now we are looking for many other opportunities and variants on potato based. Refrigerated potatoes versus IQF we think will be a huge opportunity for us," he added.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Europe's food firms slam French origin labels plan
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights