CAGE 2014: Ebro Foods urges for "meaningful" NPD
Value-added innovation key for Ebro Foods
Market-specific launches are key to the success of a new product, Ebro Foods told an audience at this year's CAGE conference in London.
Rafael López Relimpio, a member of the Ebro management committee, said the firm had had pencilled "about 50" new product launches for the year. However, he stressed that NPD was about "creating meaningful launches" rather than rolling out a single product to every market.
"For example, in the US we have a pool of microwaveable products that is growing very well. In France it is fresh pasta which presents an incredible opportunity," Relimpio observed.
"Proper execution is as important to the innovation or concept itself. We have limited resources so we choose wisely where our innovation goes," he said.
He added that Ebro Foods was "very active in innovation" with 20% of its sales in 2013 coming from new launches.
While there were no plans for any M&A that he could announce, Lopez said the food firm would concentrate on launches in adjacent categories such as fresh pasta and sauces.
An example Lopez gave was that of potato-based products which he said presented a "huge opportunity".
"It started as an Italian concept - gnocchi, we revolutionised the category in France by means of presenting it in a different concept - stir-fried gnocchi and we have turned it into a 10,000 tonne business in ten years time.
"Now we are looking for many other opportunities and variants on potato based. Refrigerated potatoes versus IQF we think will be a huge opportunity for us," he added.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report