CANADA/SPAIN: Ebro to buy Canada Bread's pasta arm
Spain's Ebro Foods is to buy the pasta business of Canada Bread, the Canadian group that could be set for a change in ownership.
Canada Bread said today (24 October) it had agreed to sell fresh pasta and sauce division Olivieri Foods to Ebro for around C$120m.
The deal comes days after Canada Bread's largest shareholder, Canadian food giant Maple Leaf Foods, said it was "exploring strategic alternatives" for its 90% stake in the business.
Canada Bread president and CEO Richard Lan said the sale of Olivieri Foods was "an excellent opportunity" to "optimise the value of our fresh pasta business, while realising its potential under a company dedicated to expanding in the global pasta industry".
Lan added: "With the leading Canadian brand in fresh pasta, a strong consumer and customer base and highly skilled employees, this acquisition provides Ebro Foods with an excellent growth platform."
Ebro has a pasta business south of the border in the US. Antonio Hernandez Callejas, Ebro's chairman, said the acquisition of Olivieri gave the company the opportunity to enter Canada's fresh pasta and sauces business through "the leading brand".
Callejas also saw benefits across the Atlantic in Europe. "The incorporation of Olivieri into Ebro Foods will also produce numerous additional synergies with our European fresh pasta business headed by Lustucru, in commercial, industrial, marketing and advertising aspects," he said.
Olivieri generated sales of C$105.5m in 2012. The deal is expected to close by the end of the year.
Maple Leaf is following a strategy to increase scale, productivity and profitability in its protein operations and has been exploring alternative strategies for its bakery group, including the sale of...
Plimsoll Publishing’s MANUFACTURE OF PASTA & NOODLES (Germany) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the MANUFACTURE OF PASTA & NOODLES (Germany) market and delivers a comprehensive individual anal...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- PepsiCo rolls out "sweet" Cheetos
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report