CANADA/SPAIN: Ebro to buy Canada Bread's pasta arm
Spain's Ebro Foods is to buy the pasta business of Canada Bread, the Canadian group that could be set for a change in ownership.
Canada Bread said today (24 October) it had agreed to sell fresh pasta and sauce division Olivieri Foods to Ebro for around C$120m.
The deal comes days after Canada Bread's largest shareholder, Canadian food giant Maple Leaf Foods, said it was "exploring strategic alternatives" for its 90% stake in the business.
Canada Bread president and CEO Richard Lan said the sale of Olivieri Foods was "an excellent opportunity" to "optimise the value of our fresh pasta business, while realising its potential under a company dedicated to expanding in the global pasta industry".
Lan added: "With the leading Canadian brand in fresh pasta, a strong consumer and customer base and highly skilled employees, this acquisition provides Ebro Foods with an excellent growth platform."
Ebro has a pasta business south of the border in the US. Antonio Hernandez Callejas, Ebro's chairman, said the acquisition of Olivieri gave the company the opportunity to enter Canada's fresh pasta and sauces business through "the leading brand".
Callejas also saw benefits across the Atlantic in Europe. "The incorporation of Olivieri into Ebro Foods will also produce numerous additional synergies with our European fresh pasta business headed by Lustucru, in commercial, industrial, marketing and advertising aspects," he said.
Olivieri generated sales of C$105.5m in 2012. The deal is expected to close by the end of the year.
Plimsoll Publishing’s MANUFACTURE OF PASTA & NOODLES (Germany) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the MANUFACTURE OF PASTA & NOODLES (Germany) market and delivers a comprehensive individual anal...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report