SPAIN: Ebro to take Riso Scotti products into new markets
CEO Antonio Hernandez Callejas said the deal will allow Ebro to introduce Riso's products to new markets
Ebro Foods plans to launch the products of Italian rice producer Riso Scotti, in which it has bought a 25% stake, into new markets, including the US.
Riso Scotti produces lines including rice and soybean milk, rice biscuits, rice oils and ready meals for the premium market.
Chairman and CEO Antonio Hernandez Callejas told just-food the deal will allow Ebro to introduce Riso Scotti's products to new markets.
"We are considering introducing the premium Italian food concepts in some relevant markets such as the US, France and Spain."
Ebro is a global operator producing pasta, rice, sauce and frozen foods for European, US, Asian and African markets.
The deal comes almost a year after Callejas told just-food it would look to make further acquisitions and expand its geographic reach. At the time he said Ebro had room to grow in geographies beyond its two biggest markets of Europe and North America. This, he said, may be done through acquisitions, adding that the company was eyeing a number of South American companies, with a particular interest in Brazil and Mexico.
The chief executive, however, said today: "For the time being we are not looking to South America."
As part of the Riso Scotti deal, Callejas said Ebro has a "strategic agreement for searching for synergies between the two groups within a wide scope of activities such as purchases, technologies, sales to subsidiaries, etc". He did not expand further.
Companies: Ebro Foods
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report