UK/EU: EC cereals proposal criticised by NFU
Ben Gill, president of the UK National Farmers Union (NFU), has written to European Agriculture Commissioner Franz Fischler to urge the European Commission to abandon its proposal to force down cereal prices in the EU. Gill has released a statement criticising the plans to abolish a €10 (US$9.14) import tariff on grain from Eastern Europe and the Baltic. He argues that because of the strength of the pound compared to the euro, the policy would unfairly penalise British farmers because their prices are much lower than those on the Continent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever 'giving serious thought to split'
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mead Johnson acquires Bega Cheese capacity
- ABF sees further grocery revival