UK/EU: EC cereals proposal criticised by NFU
Ben Gill, president of the UK National Farmers Union (NFU), has written to European Agriculture Commissioner Franz Fischler to urge the European Commission to abandon its proposal to force down cereal prices in the EU. Gill has released a statement criticising the plans to abolish a €10 (US$9.14) import tariff on grain from Eastern Europe and the Baltic. He argues that because of the strength of the pound compared to the euro, the policy would unfairly penalise British farmers because their prices are much lower than those on the Continent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group