US: Ecolab launches cooked meat anti-bacterial treatment
Ecolab, a leading producer and marketer of cleaning, sanitising and pest control products and services, has announced the introduction of a new innovative treatment aimed at combating bacterial contamination of cooked meats.
Ecolab says Octa-Gone is the first fatty acid-based antimicrobial treatment that reduces microbial contamination on ready-to-eat (RTE) meat and poultry products. In fact, the company says Octa-Gone "virtually eliminates" the possibility of post-treatment contamination by bacteria and pathogens because it is applied to the packaging itself just before the meat is packed.
"Octa-Gone provides an extra layer of food safety protection for our customers," says John Tengwall, vice president of Food & Beverage at Ecolab. "The value of this product to our industry cannot be stressed enough. Octa-Gone is cost-effective and simple to apply. It's effective against microbial pathogens without affecting the colour, flavour or appearance of the RTE meat product, and it's approved as a processing aid by the USDA (Department of Agriculture); therefore no additive labelling is required for processors. It's a revolutionary product that is going to change the way RTE manufacturers run their packaging lines."
Tengwall says the key to Octa-Gone's effectiveness lies in the timing of when it is applied. The treatment is applied directly into packaging bags immediately before ready-to-eat meats are placed inside and sealed. The packaged and sealed product is then sent through a hot water shrink tunnel, tightening the package and spreading the Octa-Gone treatment over the entire surface of the RTE product.
Octa-Gone is also designed for ease of application, says Ecolab. "When adopting the new Octa-Gone product into their plants, Ecolab customers gain access to the 24-hour, 7-day-a-week technical support and service that the company is known for in the food and beverage processing industry," Tengwall said.
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review