UK: Embattled Asda launches "cast-iron" guarantee on price
"We will not be beaten on price" - Asda
UK retailer Asda, which has seen recent sales lag behind its rivals, has launched a "cast-iron promise" that consumers will not find their shopping cheaper elsewhere.
The Wal-Mart arm yesterday (27 April) launched the Asda Price Guarantee, which will see the retailer refund the difference - plus a penny - if consumers find they could have paid less at Tesco, Sainsbury's and Morrisons.
At 9am the day after consumers have made their weekly shop, they can visit the Asda Price Guarantee website, developed in tandem with mysupermarket.co.uk, to see if they could have saved money elsewhere.
“From today Asda cannot and will not be beaten on price. Our guarantee puts an end to the phoney price wars that most shoppers are sick of," said Asda chief executive Andy Bond.
“For the millions of shoppers who shop elsewhere, my challenge is this – come to Asda this weekend and see how much you’d save.”
Asda has laid down the gauntlet to its rivals as the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel showed the UK's second-largest retailer was losing market share.
In the 12 weeks to 18 April, Asda grew sales by 2.5% and saw its share of UK grocery sales dip from 17% to 16.9%, Kantar said.
UK grocery sales grew by 3% over the 12 weeks and Kantar said Asda was still "under-performing" the rest of the market after a "disappointing" Christmas.
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review