UPDATE: GERMANY: Emmi, Gläserne Molkerei to exploit export opportunities
The tie-up between Swiss dairy giant Emmi and German organic dairy group producer Gläserne Molkerei will enable the two groups to take greater advantage of export opportunities.
In an announcement today (17 October), Emmi revealed that its organic business, Molkerei Biedermann, has taken a 24% stake in Gläserne Molkerei for an undisclosed sum.
A spokesperson for the Swiss group said the partnership would strengthen Molkerei Biedermann's position in the "important" German market.
"The beauty of the deal is to benefit from the strong position of Gläserne Molkerei in Germany which will help to stronger position our organic products in that market," the spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, Gläserne Molkerei will benefit from Emmi's international reach and established sales organisation, the spokesperson said. In particular, the spokesperson highlighted the US and UK markets.
"Gläserne Molkerei so far has just a small volume of exports but offers a significant potential. For example, in the US cheese market because the company complies with the strict standards of the US National Organic Program, which are even stricter than those of the EU. Emmi has a strong track-record in the US, so Gläserne Molkerei will certainly be able to benefit from our experience. We will also look closer at the UK market because Emmi is already present in this market and have a well-established sales organisation."
Emmi is targeting growth in the organic dairy category, which offers "more opportunities", the spokesperson said.
"Contrary to the conventional dairy sector in markets like Austria and Germany - the organic market is less saturated and the demand for high-quality natural products is increasing," the spokesperson suggested.
- Briefing: How is gluten-free faring in Europe?
- Happy Family CEO on baby and beyond
- Pricing, productivity pay off for Mondelez
- BRICs and beyond: Kam Tai's Chinese growth story
- Analysis: Unilever's global ice cream push
- Lactalis surpasses Danone on dairy league table
- Mondelez Mexico investment to hit 600 US jobs
- Post, TreeHouse "in talks over ConAgra own-label"
- Mondelez profits down but gives guidance boost
- Lindt adds Hello Bites to US portfolio