UPDATE: GERMANY: Emmi, Gläserne Molkerei to exploit export opportunities
The tie-up between Swiss dairy giant Emmi and German organic dairy group producer Gläserne Molkerei will enable the two groups to take greater advantage of export opportunities.
In an announcement today (17 October), Emmi revealed that its organic business, Molkerei Biedermann, has taken a 24% stake in Gläserne Molkerei for an undisclosed sum.
A spokesperson for the Swiss group said the partnership would strengthen Molkerei Biedermann's position in the "important" German market.
"The beauty of the deal is to benefit from the strong position of Gläserne Molkerei in Germany which will help to stronger position our organic products in that market," the spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, Gläserne Molkerei will benefit from Emmi's international reach and established sales organisation, the spokesperson said. In particular, the spokesperson highlighted the US and UK markets.
"Gläserne Molkerei so far has just a small volume of exports but offers a significant potential. For example, in the US cheese market because the company complies with the strict standards of the US National Organic Program, which are even stricter than those of the EU. Emmi has a strong track-record in the US, so Gläserne Molkerei will certainly be able to benefit from our experience. We will also look closer at the UK market because Emmi is already present in this market and have a well-established sales organisation."
Emmi is targeting growth in the organic dairy category, which offers "more opportunities", the spokesperson said.
"Contrary to the conventional dairy sector in markets like Austria and Germany - the organic market is less saturated and the demand for high-quality natural products is increasing," the spokesperson suggested.
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits