UPDATE: GERMANY: Emmi, Gläserne Molkerei to exploit export opportunities
The tie-up between Swiss dairy giant Emmi and German organic dairy group producer Gläserne Molkerei will enable the two groups to take greater advantage of export opportunities.
In an announcement today (17 October), Emmi revealed that its organic business, Molkerei Biedermann, has taken a 24% stake in Gläserne Molkerei for an undisclosed sum.
A spokesperson for the Swiss group said the partnership would strengthen Molkerei Biedermann's position in the "important" German market.
"The beauty of the deal is to benefit from the strong position of Gläserne Molkerei in Germany which will help to stronger position our organic products in that market," the spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, Gläserne Molkerei will benefit from Emmi's international reach and established sales organisation, the spokesperson said. In particular, the spokesperson highlighted the US and UK markets.
"Gläserne Molkerei so far has just a small volume of exports but offers a significant potential. For example, in the US cheese market because the company complies with the strict standards of the US National Organic Program, which are even stricter than those of the EU. Emmi has a strong track-record in the US, so Gläserne Molkerei will certainly be able to benefit from our experience. We will also look closer at the UK market because Emmi is already present in this market and have a well-established sales organisation."
Emmi is targeting growth in the organic dairy category, which offers "more opportunities", the spokesperson said.
"Contrary to the conventional dairy sector in markets like Austria and Germany - the organic market is less saturated and the demand for high-quality natural products is increasing," the spokesperson suggested.
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details