PERU: Empac expands exports
Peru's leading producer of food packaging, Empac , suffered liquidity problems in 1998 and 1999 due to the nation's economic crisis which slowed industrial activity and consumption. Sales during 1999 were down 30% from one year earlier, although a major reorganization during the first half of 2000 stemmed losses.In order to compensate for the weak domestic packaging market, Empac recently entered the Venezuelan market with shipments of 2,000 kilograms per month. According to Empac's business manager, Rene Mickelena, the company is negotiating sales to companies in Mexico and Central America with the goal of ultimately directing 15% of total sales to those markets.Management expects that exports will bring production from 60% of installed capacity at present up to a level of 90%. Overcapacity became an issue after Empac invested US$1.5m in expanding production, just before the 1998 recession battered packaging demand in Peru and the remainder of South America.SOURCE: includes information from the article "Empac inicio exportaciones de envases a Venezuela",
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report