USA: ERS says foodborne pathogens cost US$6.9bn per year
The USDA's Economic Research Service (ERS) estimates the cost of medical care for diseases caused by foodborne pathogens, and the subsequent productivity losses, at US$6.9bn per year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has provided updated case, hospitalisation and death estimates for the foodborne pathogens shown in the following table:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast