CHILE/EU: EU challenges Chilean preparations for safeguard duty on UHT and powdered milk
Formal talks at the World Trade Organisation's headquarters in Geneva have been called for by the European Commission, which has invoked the first stage of a WTO disputes procedure with Chile, over the republic's plans to erect a 16% safeguard duty on imports of powdered milk and liquid UHT milk.Representing the EU, Brussels has claimed that "from the scant information available so far," the rules on setting up such tariffs "have not been satisfied."Chile has to show that there has been a stark increase in imports of a product, which has caused domestic producers problems, if it wants to justify the duty. "The available facts do not justify the conclusion," claimed the Commission.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea