CHILE/EU: EU challenges Chilean preparations for safeguard duty on UHT and powdered milk
Formal talks at the World Trade Organisation's headquarters in Geneva have been called for by the European Commission, which has invoked the first stage of a WTO disputes procedure with Chile, over the republic's plans to erect a 16% safeguard duty on imports of powdered milk and liquid UHT milk.Representing the EU, Brussels has claimed that "from the scant information available so far," the rules on setting up such tariffs "have not been satisfied."Chile has to show that there has been a stark increase in imports of a product, which has caused domestic producers problems, if it wants to justify the duty. "The available facts do not justify the conclusion," claimed the Commission.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK
- Mondelez plans "selective" UK price hikes
- Kellogg names Fareed Khan as incoming CFO