CHILE/EU: EU challenges Chilean preparations for safeguard duty on UHT and powdered milk
Formal talks at the World Trade Organisation's headquarters in Geneva have been called for by the European Commission, which has invoked the first stage of a WTO disputes procedure with Chile, over the republic's plans to erect a 16% safeguard duty on imports of powdered milk and liquid UHT milk.Representing the EU, Brussels has claimed that "from the scant information available so far," the rules on setting up such tariffs "have not been satisfied."Chile has to show that there has been a stark increase in imports of a product, which has caused domestic producers problems, if it wants to justify the duty. "The available facts do not justify the conclusion," claimed the Commission.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti