BELGIUM: Europe, not us, deals with pork price - Colruyt
Belgian retailer Colruyt, which saw protesting pork farmers attempt to blockade one of its distribution centres overnight, today (17 July) insisted it had little control over pork prices.
Farmers, angry at the low price for pork products in Belgium, held a protest at a Colruyt site in Hal and met the company's management early this morning.
A Colruyt spokesman, however, claimed that pork prices are "set at a European level" with the retailer having little influence.
Some 60% of Belgian pork products are sold outside the country in other European markets, the spokesman claimed.
"There are macro-economic issues that has to be dealt with at a European level," he said.
Nevertheless, the spokesman added that, after "a good debate" with the protestors, Colruyt would look to play a role with other stakeholders to find "a sustainable solution".
Officials at Veva, the Belgian pork farming body, could not be reached for immediate comment.
A series of upbeat trading statements from UK retailers has convinced some that a recovery is well on its way. However, despite the apparent Christmas cheer, 2010 is likely to be just as challenging a...
The launch of Delhaize's "new game plan" has been widely welcomed by the market and the Belgium-based retailer's share price has responded accordingly. The plan aims to drive sales growth by investing...
German retailer Aldi is understood to be eyeing an expansion into New Zealand in a bid to build upon its growth in Australia....
The UK's major grocers saw a return to "confident consumer spending" over Christmas, industry analysts TNS said today (11 January), which pointed to a "positive outlook" for the sector....
The UK grocery sector is "largely buoyant" in the run up to Christmas, industry analysts TNS Worldpanel claimed this afternoon (8 December) - and consumers are showing signs of gaining in confidence....
Colruyt, the Belgium-based retailer, has booked an 8% rise in half-year profits, thanks to increased sales - but the company warned margins at its namesake chain were "under some pressure"....
UK supermarkets could do more to help stop dwindling fish stocks by supplying customers with sustainably sourced seafood, according to a report published today (26 November)....
Belgian discount supermarket Colruyt has today (4 November) launched a tender offer for the takeover of Foodinvest Group based in Bornem, Antwerp....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report