NEATHERLANDS: European Commission agrees to Ahold acquisition in Spain
The European Commission has approved the acquisition by Royal Ahold of prominent Spanish hyper and supermarket operator, Superdiplo. The decision was announced yesterday in Brussels.Superdiplo operates 300 supermarkets and hypermarkets in southern Spain, on the Canary Islands and in the Madrid region. The company boasts strong profits with sales of approximately Euro 1.5 billion. Superdiplo's activities and locations are highly complementary to Ahold's operations in Spain and the company has prospered under the professionalism of Superdiplo's management team.The Superdiplo stores serve more than 4 million customers weekly and feature extensive fresh departments along with a wide assortment of groceries and household items. Pending finalization of the transaction, Ahold in Spain will be three times as large as it is today. The many synergies available and economies of scale will further strengthen Ahold's local position and profitability. Ahold anticipates that the acquisition will be completed before the end of the year and preparations for the tender offer on all outstanding Superdiplo shares are underway. The offer will be announced after the approval of the prospectus by the Madrid stock exchange authorities.On September 7, 2000, the management of Ahold and Superdiplo announced that several Superdiplo majority shareholders with stock totaling 69% agreed to honor the offer. It's expected that other Superdiplo shareholders will follow suit. Once the transaction is finalized, Ahold in Spain will operate over 530 stores with annual sales of around Euro 2 billion. Further significant growth in the country is planned. Superdiplo already owns various excellent locations targeted for larger stores.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image