UK: Export ban on pigs eased
EU veterinary experts have agreed to lift the ban on live pig exports from Essex on 15 September. A large-scale blockade had been put in place after an outbreak of Classical Swine Fever was detected at the beginning of August, but within a week the bans were restricted to contaminated areas. Similar bans in Suffolk and Norfolk are still in place, although a second proposal will now allow the slaughter of pigs in the district of Old Buckenham in Norfolk. The experts discussed the trade restrictions in Brussels and the decision comes as a surprise after a new case of CSF was confirmed yesterday. The concessions are believed to display the confidence of the EU in the efforts made by UK farmers to restrict the spread of the disease, especially in the light of an announcement by EU officials that "it is expected that further disease outbreaks will be reported in the coming days." Rigorous controls will still be in place, but EU experts added that the move "should encourage British pig farmers to continue their co-operation with the veterinary authorities to successfully eradicate the disease as quickly as possible."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review