EUROPE: "Farm policy cannot turn a blind eye to society's expectations," says Fischler
During a discussion in Berlin earlier this week of the European Commission's (EC) proposals for the mid-term review of the common agricultural policy (CAP), Agriculture Commissioner Franz Fischler said that changes were needed to restore the CAP's credibility. "We need a fresh start for the sake of the farmer, the consumer and the taxpayer. If we are serious about a policy which promotes quality rather than quantity, which offers farmers incentives not to produce for intervention stocks and not to gear their production to subsidy levels but to what the consumer wants, which frees farmers from the bureaucratic yoke of form-filling and which improves the standing of our farm aid schemes with the general public in the EU and with the WTO, then we have to decouple direct payments from production and make them conditional on compliance with environment, food safety and animal welfare standards."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review