USA: Farmers blame imported milk concentrate for low milk prices
US dairy farmers are blaming a low-cost milk powder for diluting their business and misleading consumers. Milk Protein Concentrate, MPC, is a highly filtered form of dried milk protein that is imported to make cheese products at a lower cost and with less milk. Many farmers blame the lack of restriction on imports of MPC for the current low milk prices. William Underwood, a dairy farmer in Tully, New York, said he has not seen dairy prices so low since the late 1970s. "It's affected all dairymen in the United States, and it hurts us, because some of the major cheese companies like Kraft are making a cheaper product by using it," said Underwood. "Some of the countries that make it don't have the same sanitary regulations and requirements we do here."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review