UK: Farmers log on to NFUnet for news and advice on FMD
An extra one thousand farmers have signed up to the NFU's intranet since the foot and mouth outbreak began for up-to-the-minute news on the spread of the disease and advice.
NFU President Ben Gill said: "NFUnet has proved a vital link for many farmers forced to shut themselves off from the outside world in an effort to keep the disease from their door.
"The value of using a real-time tool to get the latest news and advice directly into farmers' homes has never been so clearly demonstrated."
The NFU, which represents the interests of around 75% of full-time farmers in England and Wales, launched NFUnet a year ago*.
The intranet** contains information including a detailed listing of FMD cases, practical information for farmers on how to protect their business from foot and mouth, hyperlinks to the Ministry of Agriculture's movement application forms and regional updates on the disease.
Members wishing to take advantage of NFUnet should go to www.nfunet.org.uk to register on line. The service is free to full farming members.
Notes to editors
*NFUnet went live in February 2000. Access is via subscription to NFU full farming members. Before the FMD crisis it had 5,000 regular users.
** Intranet is a closed site offering information using website technology to subscribers only.
Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided in this document, the NFU cannot accept liability for errors and omissions. This information should not be regarded as constituting legal advice, and should therefore not be relied upon as such. NFU©
just-food.com published a feature on foot and mouth. To read it, click here.
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report