PHILIPPINES: Farmers petition president to let GM experiment go ahead
President of the Philippines, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, was asked yesterday to review her anti-GM stance and allow field experiments with GM crops to take place. The call for reconsideration came from farmers who argued in a two-page letter that the crops would prove beneficial. "We farmers," the letter read, "want to be liberated from the use of toxic chemicals and shift towards the use of environment-friendly biotechnology (crops) like the use of pest-resistant Bt (bacillus thuringiensis) corn."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund