UK: Farmer's turkey spotted in local supermarket
This Christmas shoppers will have the chance to order a traditional fresh free range turkey direct from their local farm when they do their supermarket shopping.Local farmer, John Baldwyn, has struck a deal with Somerfield to supply it with his traditionally reared and produced birds to 45 stores across the Cotswolds.All the turkeys are reared at Top Farm, Hidcote Boyce near Chipping Camden and have received the 'Golden Promise' accolade from the Traditional Farmfresh Turkey Association.The birds are reared in natural light and fed on cereals with no animal protein and free from antibiotics and growth promoters. They are grown slowly to full maturity and prime condition. The birds are then humanely slaughtered, dry-plucked and hung on the farm for a minimum of seven days to mature and develop the natural flavours unique to this type of traditional production.John Baldwyn said: "Somerfield is taking an important stand in supporting local farmers and giving us a chance to prove that we have a product that customers want with the reassurance that it's local."Our turkeys are reared under the very best methods of production with quality feed and plenty of fresh air and light. Our practice of slaughtering and maturing the turkeys on the farm guarantees minimum stress to the birds and the best quality."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Future trends in natural food to go mainstream
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- France eyes leading role in proteins
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bakery (UK) - Industry Report
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements