UK: Farmer's turkey spotted in local supermarket
This Christmas shoppers will have the chance to order a traditional fresh free range turkey direct from their local farm when they do their supermarket shopping.Local farmer, John Baldwyn, has struck a deal with Somerfield to supply it with his traditionally reared and produced birds to 45 stores across the Cotswolds.All the turkeys are reared at Top Farm, Hidcote Boyce near Chipping Camden and have received the 'Golden Promise' accolade from the Traditional Farmfresh Turkey Association.The birds are reared in natural light and fed on cereals with no animal protein and free from antibiotics and growth promoters. They are grown slowly to full maturity and prime condition. The birds are then humanely slaughtered, dry-plucked and hung on the farm for a minimum of seven days to mature and develop the natural flavours unique to this type of traditional production.John Baldwyn said: "Somerfield is taking an important stand in supporting local farmers and giving us a chance to prove that we have a product that customers want with the reassurance that it's local."Our turkeys are reared under the very best methods of production with quality feed and plenty of fresh air and light. Our practice of slaughtering and maturing the turkeys on the farm guarantees minimum stress to the birds and the best quality."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report