US: FDA allows brown rice health claim
The US Food and Drug Administration has said that brown rice can now carry whole grain health claims.
The move will enable consumers to identify brown rice as a whole grain, consumption of which is proven to reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers. The FDA's decision will also prove a useful marketing tool for rice producers.
Brown rice can now carry the FDA health claim: "Diets rich in whole grain foods and other plant foods and low in total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers."
Al Montna, chairman of the USA Rice Federation, said: "This is a milestone event. Today brown rice joins the recognized ranks of healthful foods that are entitled to make this claim. Having this information on packages of brown rice will help consumers increase whole grain consumption and reduce their risk of heart disease and some cancers."
Sectors: Food safety
It could be seen as both ironic and tragically timely that Beijing was the setting for an international food safety conference recently last month. Attending the China International Food Safety & Qual...
European citizens have a generally negative perception of animal cloning for food production, according to an EU study....
A critical food safety source used by livestock producers and vets to ensure pesticide contaminants do not end up in meat, milk and eggs has been shut down....
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a proposed rule designed to reduce a practice known as "port shopping" which, the agency said, puts the safety of imported food at risk....
A fourth baby has died and more than 6,000 infants are sick after consuming baby formula contaminated with the industrial chemical melamine, it emerged today (18 September)....
US cereal maker Ralcorp Holdings has issued a recall of thousands of cartons of oatmeal cereal due to an undeclared milk ingredient contained in some of the boxes....
The European Parliament has said a resounding "no" to the sale of meat and dairy products from cloned animals in the EU....
Lucky Country, a US candy maker, has recalled all of its natural black licorice products due to elevated levels of lead....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016