USA: FDA Clears Use of Naphthalate for Food and Beverage Containers
Effective March 23, 2000, BP Amoco Chemicals has obtained proprietary FDA clearance for the use of its NDC monomer in PET/N copolymers and PEN homopolymer intended for food and beverage packaging. This opens the market for using these high clarity, gas impermeable, thermally stable polymers for packaging all food types under all conditions of use. Two clearances allow blending of naphthalate in PET (polyethylene terephthalate) at any composition from zero to 100 percent. Under the terms of the clearances, granted exclusively to polymers made with BP Amoco's NDC (dimethyl-2,6-naphthalene dicarboxylate), NDA (2,6-naphthalene dicarboxylic acid) or both, the company may extend the privilege for use to resin producers and their customers. PET/N and PEN (polyethylene naphthalate) offer food and beverage manufacturers a long-awaited alternative to glass. "For industries trying to reduce shipping weight and breakage without sacrificing shelf life, PET/N and PEN provide the answer," says Uduak Udofia, BP Amoco's Director of Marketing and Sales for Packaging/Film. "The beer industry in particular is ready for a lightweight, shatter resistant bottle that is gas impermeable and able to withstand the high temperatures of tunnel pasteurization."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund